Old 10-17-2016, 05:42 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
HopeandFaith1

Originally Posted by Soberwolf View Post
Evening guests, newcomers & friends

At any time in your early recovery or otherwise ... if you experience a urge or a craving please do a set number of things to give yourself a chance of overcoming the urge/craving

'Play the tape' - seeing the mental picture of yourself at the end of your drinking which counters the urge & craving with acceptance rather than focusing on that first drink (which by the way is the drink that does the most damage)

'Reach out' - Come straight here to newcomers & tell us that your experiencing an urge or craving again this is countering the craving with acceptance you can also phone a trusted friend in recovery if you have that available

Know that early recovery is full of up's & down's, twist & turns & esp urges & cravings it's a big part of it they can come at anytime & without warning so stay pro active in your recovery

If you have questions ask questions that's how I learned if you think it sounds silly don't worry just ask

Please know for the love of SR that it is truly possible... yes it is hard at first but then things start changing, not always good not always bad

you don't have to do this alone we were all newcomers once

Thank you SW, this advice has helped me not drink 120 plus days now, and recently got me through not just one but THREE weddings all in a row. We were driving home from the last wedding Friday night and I told my hubby "...yeah it was hard, caught myself thinking about having just one or two, but I played the tape through". He said "Where'd you hear that?" And I said "SR!" Thanks again SW