View Single Post
Old 10-14-2016, 04:48 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
jaynie04

My mother-in-law owns a vineyard and she was telling a story about coming home after visiting her husband in the hospital and pouring a glass of wine. The story was about the fact that her dogs had taken the tv remote control (which was later found buried in the yard). But she related after searching fruitlessly for the remote she gave up, poured the wine down the sink and went to bed.

My reaction was what? You poured wine down the sink...not being able to find the remote would have made me drink more.

Having a problem with alcohol isn't really about amounts IMO, it is about your relationship with alcohol. I think that once you cross the line to a point where you are putting that type of effort into managing alcohol and your intake, it is already managing you. When I first got sober someone warned me about getting "stuck on the bridge". That is the awful place where your relationship with alcohol is a major factor in your life and you are constantly trying to figure out a way to drink and still have a life. People can spend a lifetime in this place, but if you have a problem it doesn't go away and trying to eek out amounts on something that is harming you is being a willing participant in this process.

I so did not want to be like one of the 10% of the world. But I am. But I am also lucky in that I am completely in control of whether alcohol takes me down. As long as drinking is an option at all for me, alcohol wins. But three years ago I decided to face the issue head on. Alcoholism is the affliction of wanting more. That nagging voice in the back of our minds really is the one that is telling us the truth. I hope you stay in touch with that voice and don't let alcohol drown it out.