Thread: I'm angry
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2016, 10:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
ladyscribbler

I was filled with anger after I left and I finally had time to process everything that had happened. I think what helped me the most was to start working the steps in Al Anon, especially my 4th step inventory and later on my 8th step listing all persons I had harmed and becoming willing to make amends to them all.

I was one of the people on that list, and I owed myself a lot of forgiveness. The steps helped me to work through my foo (family of origin) issues. I too grew up in an alcoholic home and learned codependency at my mother's knee. That wasn't something I had control over, but I did have control over how I chose to deal with it as an adult.

One of my therapists told me that anger isn't necessarily a "bad" emotion. It gets a bad rap because it is often used as an excuse for unacceptable behavior. There is a tremendous amount of physical and emotional energy required to sustain anger. What if you could redirect that energy into working your recovery and starting a good routine of self care?