Old 10-13-2016, 08:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
EndGameNYC
EndGame

Yeah. When I first got sober many years ago, people would tell me to treat myself as though I'd just been discharged from the hospital following heart surgery. The rest of the world didn't know what I was going through. I still had to go to work and meet my other responsibilities, but I managed to make time for myself, and especially to get the help and support I needed as MLD spoke about.

Reality was crashing in all over the place and all over me while I as drinking, and the clock continued to tick. I just didn't care that I was sitting in a house afire or that the flames would eventually consume me. My not caring how I affected other people was also a given. Life goes on, with or without us, but we can't fix everything all at once or very quickly. "You can pay me know, or you can pay me later." I can't emphasize enough how much face-to-face support in AA, IOP and OP treatment, and individual counseling helped me. I don't know that I could have gotten and then stayed sober without it.

It also helped to slow down my life and to work through a range of different problems and challenges as they presented themselves. I was a big talker about how I could take care of myself when I was drinking, but I rarely did anything about it, unless it was related to my ability to continue drinking.

Nobody wants to get treatment for alcoholism or anything else. We all have great reasons/rationalizations for not getting the help we need, and this only tends to make things worse. No one truly cares about why any individual "can't" do what is necessary in order to get sober. We've all heard the same story thousands of times, over and over again. From personal convictions, to political considerations, to personal needs and wants. It doesn't matter. Most of us only care about what concrete steps a person is taking in order to get there.

When I got sober following my relapse, I was very skeptical about my ability to get sober again and, in truth, I did not want to. So I gave myself over to all the treatment I could bear, some of which I did not agree with in principle or for some other trivial excuse that would have allowed me to circumvent the help I needed, but I eventually came around to accepting that my life would continue to be miserable unless and until I was willing to make major changes in my thinking and in my behavior. My reluctance about getting help was all about fear, especially my fear around not drinking anymore. I don't for a moment or for any reason believe that I am alone in this. Making the necessary changes is no different for me than it is for anyone else who is committed to getting sober or, more generally, to building a better life for ourselves.

Take it slow, but make it your purpose in life to do whatever is necessary in order to get sober. It always gets better, but rarely right away.