View Single Post
Old 10-12-2016, 06:44 AM
  # 471 (permalink)  
HelenofTroy
Living the life

Good morning folks.

SSOH I could just copy and paste your whole post and say "ditto" lol. I have a thread on here somewhere where I talk about counting days and I talk about not being committed to not drinking forever. I say that I have some very nice bottles of wine that I fully intend to drink "some day". I got a lot of push back for that, but I totally agree with you that it is difficult to wrap your head around the "forever" concept. Perhaps it's my inner 3 year old throwing a tantrum (others will call it my AV) but I am no further committed that quitting for now, for whatever that means. I've been told on here that that means I will definitely drink again. Well yes, I believe that's what I said myself lol. But for now I'm still hanging in there. I'm not officially counting days any more but for what it's worth my phone app tells me I am on day 14 after my two glass "slip" (is it a slip if it is a conscious decision in that moment?). I was at 22 days (I think) at that point.

I also notice alcohol a lot in media. There is a cartoon that I like to read that is based on middle aged women and they are usually socializing over glasses of wine or going out for margaritas. There are lots of Facebook memes about drinking such as of people drinking from giant wine glasses saying they are only having one. I watch Coronation Street and while I was still drinking I would want to get a glass of wine when watching the Rovers' scenes. It doesn't seem to bother me as much now. There is a lot out there subtly (and not so subtly) telling us that this is how women socialize - over wine. Or drinking wine at home alone. The wine industry has done an amazing marketing campaign normalizing women's drinking. If it is known that a woman is sitting at home drinking a bottle of vodka the perception is that she is a drunk. If she is sitting at home drinking wine she is a fun, carefree woman winding down after a hard day. It's all about the marketing.

I didn't get much done around here yesterday. Instead I spent way too much time playing on the computer. So today I need to do something constructive. There is no shortage of housework and whatnot to be done lol. Have a good one everyone!