View Single Post
Old 10-07-2016, 03:34 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Originally Posted by Loekken View Post
I think what mostly put me off with programs and the like has been the fact that it - as I said - felt like someone was trying to sell me a product, or even just sell me an idea. Buy into this and you shall get better.
I won't dispute that there may be some who come across that way, or that that is how one might perceive them, but I can only speak for myself. When I offer my "experience, strength, and hope" to other people who are suffering, I genuinely want to help them. I have nothing to gain for myself (except maybe a new sober friend). It bothers me to see others going through the same madness I lived with for more than half my life. I tried a lotta different ways to stay sober, and felt much like what you shared above for most of that time. But, for me personally, nothing but the 12-step program has resulted in not only staying sober but, more importantly, the behavioral changes to address why I kept returning to alcohol again and again. It's no small influence on my motivation that I nearly lost everything to get to that point - it takes what it takes - but my hope is that I can help another who is suffering the same or worse, and possibly plant a seed in his/her mind that there's a way out that can work, if given a chance. It's a way I avoided until I ran out of options.