View Single Post
Old 10-06-2016, 08:36 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Loekken

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
That can mean a lot of different things really. My thoughts would be that you do have to have a "plan". What the plan is could be a myriad of things. It might involve a formal "program" like AA/AVRT/Smart, etc. It could involve self-help through reading, sites like SR, etc. It could involve structured rehab/detox. It could involve therapy - either addiction specific or standard psychological counseling.

I think the bottom line is you can't simply "not drink" and expect your addiction to go away. Yes, alcohol is our drug of choice...but simply removing it from our lives doesn't fix everything.

I think it's also important to remember that what works for you may not work for others. Debating why one method is "better" than another is not helpful to anyone. These types of discussions many times devolve into argument too.

Bottom line, do what works for you and keep an open mind.
It has mostly been self-help in my case, although I've attended private, individual counseling sessions. It's the only 'treatment' I've had and I don't feel like I need more in terms of 'alcohol' counseling. The rest is the rest and all the things not fixable by just not drinking, meaning they are essentially not even drink-related, ever so often in my case. I think I mentioned it before, most have deeper psychological issues before they pick up the bottle, or at least many do.

I think what mostly put me off with programs and the like has been the fact that it - as I said - felt like someone was trying to sell me a product, or even just sell me an idea. Buy into this and you shall get better.