View Single Post
Old 10-04-2016, 04:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

I haven't responded because it's been a crazy day. I do have some thoughts about this. First, I think drinking WITH an alcoholic--one who is active in his/her addiction--is a form of enabling. It subtly encourages and gives the alcoholic a stamp of approval, in a way.

But as far as drinking on your own--with friends or at meals, etc.--I think you have every right to do that.

If the alcoholic is trying to stay sober, things are a little different. It's tough to stay away from booze/temptation in the very beginning, especially. And it can be very troublesome, too, to have someone come home from a night out with the boys/girls and kiss you if they smell/taste like alcohol. So personally, I would recommend that people with partners in early recovery avoid drinking if you will be around your partner afterward. And even if the newly-sober partner assures you it won't bother him/her, that might just be a brave front. I wouldn't do it. Nor would I keep any alcohol in the house, even for guests, until the newly-sober partner is (a) on solid ground--preferably sober for a year and (b) honestly assures you that it won't bother him/her.

I've been sober eight years, and I wouldn't be comfortable having alcohol IN my home, even today. It doesn't bother me to be around other people who are drinking (now--it would have in the beginning), and since I haven't been dating since I got sober I can only guess that I'd prefer not to be kissing someone who smells/tastes like alcohol. But I like the fact that if I ever had an attack of complete insanity and wanted to drink, I would have to get my keys, get into my car, and drive to the liquor store. During which time I would hopefully come to my senses before I did something really stupid.

Everyone is different, though, once they get past that first year or so. It's best to have an honest conversation about how you both feel about it and to let basic consideration for one's partner be your guide.

I have to just throw out there, though--if you "miss" having your drinks, are you sure you aren't maybe treading on dangerous ground? Before my alcoholism started to take off about 20 years ago, I didn't miss drinking when we kept it out of the house for the sake of my first husband's sobriety (incidentally, he often tells me, now that he's been sober for over 36 years, how helpful it was to him that I didn't keep booze in the house or drink around him in the beginning).

I'm not saying you're an alcoholic or necessarily headed for trouble, just throwing out something for you maybe to think about.