View Single Post
Old 10-04-2016, 04:41 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Hi Joey,

You wouldn't be starting to look at steps three or four by any chance?

Someone earlier made a wise comment about one size does not fit all. If you have found something that fits, don't change it. I am one of a small percentage of alcoholics for whom AA is the only solution, and I have never seen anyone like me recover by any other means. My rehab group of 10, three went to AA and are still sober today, seven did not and were all dead within a year.

Until I went travelling, I spent a lot of time with the patients in the hospital detox. The hospital and community care organisations offer a range of options including counselling,, cbt, harm reduction, fellloship of a sort, and always have a doctor supervising things. These are goood and dedicated people, but there is a bunch of people they have no success with and these eventually become what the staff call "frequent flyers" in the detox ward.

Of these, occasionally AA gets one, but mostly the booze gets them in the end. It is quite focussing to see the physical and mental deterioration, and the denial can be phenominal.

"Take what I need" is something that makes me shudder. Among my type of alcpholics, the takers don't do well, it is the givers that seem so get the best deal. And what I need is.... well, I didn't know what I needed, I didn't know how to recover, how could I? So I took the suggested medicine, some of which I didn't like, some of which I would have preferred to avoid but somehow knew was unavoidable and I got what was promised, a first rate recovery.

For me AA worked well and it worked quickly, as quickly as I worked it. I like the idea of getting freedom from alcohol as quickly as possible, and the speed at which AA works is something the medical fraternity has never been able to explain. Maybe that's the miracle of it.