View Single Post
Old 10-03-2016, 09:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Smarie78

I Miss Enjoying my Own Drink

Before my Abf fell into a year long (and counting) relapse cycle, I enjoyed my occasional drink, as I met him during a period he had of 6 months of sobriety. At the time I knew nothing of addiction so when he encouraged me to drink as usual when we met and that it didn't bother him though he was sober, I went right ahead. I avoided being drunk in front of him and usually limited it to two drinks. I didn't leave booze out or let a bottle sit right in front of him pouring casually, but I did have it most times when the desire hit. Out to dinner, at a special event, etc.
I should mention I am not an alcoholic but was a regular drinker when we met. Always had beer in the fridge and bottles of wine I enjoyed with my dinner.

Fast forward and in the last year my Abf has been through a hell of a time, severely relapsing almost every couple of months. Each time he comes out of it he encourages me not to stop drinking just because he happened to have a setback. As much as I want to have a cold beer or glass of wine after work, I can't bring myself to flaunt the poison that has hurt us so badly.

He says he has no desire to drink for pleasure as I do, and I should feel free to do it. But well, how do you?? I miss it as a non-A, and know I would never allow it in my home any longer since he is here all the time. That said, I have days during the week where I don't see him and can drink. Should I just be satisfied and drink when we aren't together? We spend most weekends together and a good 5 days of the week or so, so I supposed I just miss a Saturday night cocktail or having some vino when we cook together.

Is this just part of the world we are in and have to accept? How have you drinking partners of A's handled this? Did you sacrifice and stop?