View Single Post
Old 09-29-2016, 07:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Cryogenics

Cracked but not broken

In my room there is a small teal buddha statue that I bought in England. About a month ago, I went to a festival and decided to bring my buddha statue as a decoration. As I was setting up my vendor stand (it's a low budget operation), I accidentally knocked the statue onto the ground. It did not break, but there is now a large crack in the back of the statue, that if it is pressed will cause the statue to break in half.

At first I was pretty upset about the crack, as the statue holds a lot of sentimental value (buddha statues like this are rare nowadays, as they have a tendency to either mysteriously break due to the negligence of the owner, or be destroyed by jihadists): how could I be so remiss, so negligent? But in a way, the crack also speaks to the decay that is inherent in all material objects. The statue is still functional, I just have to be extremely careful with it now. I suppose, I could go buy some super glue and rub a thin layer over the crack so as to make it a little stronger.

I sort of feel like that statue in terms of my drug history and future. I am cracked but not broken, and now I face two paths. I can either continue to put stress on the crack that is already there, or I can do what I can to make amends.