View Single Post
Old 09-28-2016, 07:34 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Bird615
I could see peace instead of this

As a recovering alcoholic, I can tell you that his continuing to blame you shows that he is far from recovery. As was mentioned, signs of recovery will be when he begins to show real humility and starts taking responsibility for his part in all this and for his life in general.

It looks to me like you've bent over backwards trying to make this work. I was once in a relationship with an alcoholic while I was sober. I also tried everything I could to make it work.

When I finally left, he tried everything to get me to take him back one more time. I'd been educating myself on codependency through all of this and gone to Al-Anon a bit and kind of knew what I might expect. Sure enough, first he tried being really sweet. When that didn't work, he tried to make me feel guilty, accusing me of abandoning him and not having any faith in him. Then he got nasty and when that didn't work, he got scary. I continued to refuse contact with him and got a restraining order, and after getting arrested a few times for breaking it while drunk, he finally left me alone.

I now have a far better life than the one I had with him. He never did get sober.

Please stick around here, take care of yourself and your kids and also try Al-Anon; there's lots of support and you'll see you're far from alone.