View Single Post
Old 09-27-2016, 08:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
tekink

Originally Posted by LastDrinks
Same here Tekink - struggling to get much work done still and feel very unmotivated and getting heavy cravings at least every hour. I find myself staring at my computer screen for long periods almost in a trance like a zombie. Honestly the first 4 days were much easier than now for me (with the help of daily detox program) - but ever since it has just gotten worse.

One thing I will say is that I am noticing how much cash I'm saving. Here in Australia alcohol is very expensive and my almost daily trips to the bottleshop and pubs is saving a truckload of cash. However this is being offset by my reduction in work productivity, for the time being anyways. I'd consider myself in the past as being a highly functioning drinker until after 15 or so drinks or so, where it would really help me get more work done.

I know a lot of people would disagree and say that alcohol just makes you feel like you are getting more done, but I really did get to a stage where if I had a creative block or couldn't figure something out, getting drunk would be the only way I could move forward. This is in itself is a dangerous habit, but is only a tiny proportion of all the problems my drinking caused.

I think in time it should get better, because relying on alcohol not only as an escape but to also be productive is an absolute joke.
Surprisingly I'm not really getting cravings this time around (yet) I did the first couple days but they died out considerably. My other attempts the cravings never left, even when I made it 28 days.

You are not kidding about the cost of booze in AU! I made a trip to Sydney and Cairns back in 2008 the exchange rate at that time was 1:1 with the USD and a 6 pack of Victoria Bitter was $20.00 when I was paying $6.00 back home for small batch craft beers! I could not afford to catch a buzz in Sydney. In Cairns drafts at the pub weren't bad, but Sydney made me wonder how working folks could even drink. Then again I have no idea what wages are like over there.

I'm fortunate I got to dive the Reef, that was amazing.

Day 15 wasn't too bad, I do have a headache today and I feel foggy but I haven't been so irritable which is a nice change. I don't expect to feel better right away and these days of feeling like crap really just reaffirm the fact that making the decision to never drink again, ever, is a great decision for me. My AV is easy to spot this time around.