View Single Post
Old 09-26-2016, 05:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Delilah1

Welcome Shazam!

You will find lots of support on SR. I also deal with anxiety, I have since I've been a kid. I used to think drinking was a way to calm down at the end of a stressful day, but the truth is my anxiety was even worse after drinking.

I am a few days shy of nine months sober, and like you I was a wine drinker. I would usually drink a bottle of wine a night, sometimes more. For the past few years I went between periods of sobriety, and failed attempts at moderation. On NYE I decided that 2016 was going to be my first of many sober years, and I am so much healthier physically and mentally than I was last year.

My husband still drinks every night, and some nights he has more than he should. I knew that I had to make this choice for me, and not try to get him to stop with me. It was a little harder in the beginning because he was still drinking, but it isn't anymore. Truthfully, when I smell alcohol on him it makes me want to turn my head away from the smell, and not because I want to drink, but because it smells gross.

I have done many things to work on my recovery, and reading and posting on SR daily has been a big part of it. Join the September class, pop into the 24 hour thread each day.

If you enjoy reading there are many excellent recovery books, Anna has a thread listing them. If you are interested let me know and I can suggest a few of my favorite.

Exercise, meditation, journaling, reading, eating healthy, and checking in on SR daily are the biggest components of my recovery program.

You can do this!! Looking forward to seeing you on SR!

❤️ Delilah