View Single Post
Old 09-26-2016, 07:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
atalose

If I can get any more insight into my guilt about telling people he has a drug problem or if anyone has had similar experiences/emotions.

Definition of guilt…………. Guilt is a cognitive or an emotional experience that occurs when a person believes or realizes—accurately or not—that he or she has compromised his or her own standards of conduct or has violated a moral standard and bears significant responsibility for that violation.

I know for me I felt embarrassed that I had stayed in a relationship with an addict for as long as I did. I felt shame that I did compromise my standards and I also felt judged because I was guilty of judging others who had chosen to stay in toxic relationships.

It was easy once I truly made up my mind that it was over and there was never ever going to be a chance of going back. I became honest with myself which helped me become honest with my very close friends and family. And then all those acquaintances who inquired I simply said, irreconcilable differences and if they pressed for more info I would say I’d rather not talk about it but thank you for your concern.