View Single Post
Old 09-23-2016, 05:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
peacelovesober

Originally Posted by atalose View Post

Most of us get pretty far down the road before we reach that fork, do we continue on or do we get off?

Best to do research on addiction especially opiate addiction. Look into addict behavior, lying, manipulating like he’s already doing to you are very typical and as the addiction grows so does the behaviors.

One of the things I learned the hard way was when he told me about his drug usage and was looking for kudo’s on being honest with me, WELL, 9 out of 10 times he was only telling me a ¼ of the truth about his actual drug usage.
This is so true. I can hear that you are hopeful and feel that you want to support him so that he can be better. But the hard truth is him getting better has zero to do with you. Yes you can go to meetings and not participate in drug use and that kind of thing. But other than that there is nothing that you can do to change his behaviors.

They will tend to lie to you about what they are using or doing, so if he is truly doing that there are clinics in most areas where you go and get it and taper off in a safe manner. You have to ask yourself some questions.
1..Are you ready to devote your life to his recovery whether he is or not?
2..Are you sure that you are ok with the fear of relapse and the addict cycle if he does get sober for your entire relationship.
and
3...What are you willing to tolerate.

I am not wanting to sound harsh, but I have tolerated lies for so long that my AH (married 8 years) him using the entire time has become used to it and so have I. You are valuable and worthy and deserve all the love in the world . A relationship is supposed to grant you a partner and person that is sometimes weak but sometimes strong and you lean on each other. Unfortunately, you will very likely bear a lot of the responsibility if you continue a relationship with an addict that is not in recovery. So if you are willing then that is fine, if not then decide now and live your life.