Thread: Starting Over
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2016, 12:21 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  
CelticZebra

SR is the best support group out there!
Thanks Jess, I too have never felt comfortable at AA but AVRT and the simplistic way it works has been the best fit for me, maybe it's due to the mental health issues I have suffered (probably in part due to my choices in the past) but the few meetings I went to seemed like a pity party about powerlessness over alcohol and the not knowing how long I could manage one day at a time, far too stressful for me!
I am not powerless, my power lies in the words I tell myself, and believe.... I do not drink, ever!
I've done some different bits of psychological therapies and one of the things I learnt to still my mind is how to accept what is and not fantasise about the future as it is untold.
I spend time in nature (even just in the garden) and attempt to meditate and see how life flows around me and through me regardless of my activity (non activity!) being aware of the insignificance of me and my stuff is so much easier in the middle of nowhere and has the added bonus of no alcohol, must remember the water for trips like that!
3 years ago my life was in a mess and I didn't know how to stop the merry-go-round, suffering stress, illness, grief and change all need working though in a healthy way which is just not possible under the influence.
I've still got a long way to go but I'm positive in my outlook now that I never drink I don't have the poison infecting my mind and body, I have space to breathe.
Big hugs Jess, you got this!

Driving my wagon of hope through beautiful views on my road to myself