Thread: new
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2016, 03:42 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
awuh1
Sober Alcoholic

Winslow, please don't take what I'm about to say in the wrong way. It's my honest opinion and I'm saying it with the best of intentions.

You are a binge drinker. You have quit numerous times by shear force of will. Each time you have done so you have gone back to drinking. This has happened over and over again. I'm not pointing this out in order to be critical but in order to have you take a look at the pattern. If I have missed something I apologize in advance. It's just that I don't see much new in the current attempt, and that worries me.

There is an old saying, "the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over hoping for a different result". IMO success is going to require you to do something substantially different this time, NOW, before there is another relapse.

Dee's observation that "just not drinking wasn't enough to satisfy me, or stop those fraudulent but rosy nostalgic memories from resurfacing" is true, and it's true for 99% of us. The way you describe your drinking, I believe this also applies to you. I take that back. I don't believe it, I know it.

The single best suggestion I can make to you is to attend an AA meeting. I was like you. I quit too many times to count. Sometimes for a few months at a time. It never lasted. Nothing ever worked until I went all in.

Regardless of whether you go to AA or not, PLEASE do something different this time.

All the best to you.