View Single Post
Old 09-18-2016, 03:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Kissedbyfire

His New Sober Attitude. Normal?

He's been sober for four weeks now.
It's been going pretty well. I'll admit his behaviour at times can be a little unsettling, but I know that's my own problem. He's not doing anything wrong or bad. You can tell he's just trying to adjust to himself and figure things out.

We're not being very intimate together, and some days I feel like he's trying to get away from me. It upsets me but I'm also keeping busy focusing on myself, and trying to be understanding that he's staring his demons in the face and holding strong.

His new attitude is a little puzzling to me though. I don't know if it's healthy or not. By his comments it seems that he now despises alcohol. He makes comments about "stupid drunks" constantly. He talks about drinking as though it is very stupid and almost acts like he's never done it. If someone is noticeably drunk (a neighbour or anyone really) he'll make a comment.

He got stopped by a ride program yesterday. Told me about it as soon as he got home and said "they asked if I had anything to drink tonight and I told them I don't drink." He's never been stopped by one before. He said it felt good telling them that.

He works with three alcoholics. His main crew at work (including his head supervisor) are all A's. He's gone out drinking with them many times in the past few years and has drank on the job with them. They laughed at him when he said he doesn't drink anymore and persistently ask him out to drink or call him at home to go out for drinks. One co-worker drunk dials him often. He rolls his eyes and doesn't answer. His workplace has always been unprofessional with the same issues- lack of safety, terribly organized, guys just having pissing contests trying to out do one another, under staffed... now he's talking about pursuing other careers. I'm sure he has more clarity, and these things are bothering him now or he may just want to be away from these people. He calls his co-workers dumb drunks all the time.

His attitude toward alcohol is filled with hatred. Anyone drinking is apparently an idiot.

Is that normal in recovery? Is it healthy?

Just looking for people's thoughts and opinions.