View Single Post
Old 09-14-2016, 07:53 PM
  # 257 (permalink)  
digdug

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
We - we're not doing pre-marital counseling through a church. My mom is a psychologist and I've been in and out of therapy since I was a teenager. At this point, I will only see someone with a doctorate in psychology. Not that a minister can't give good relationship advice, but we both wanted someone who had real training. We found a great therapist who actually specializes in interracial relationships (I am white and she is black), and all the added stuff that goes along with that from a cultural perspective. We both love him and learn so much from each visit. I think we're just going to keep going until we feel like we're not getting much out of it. I know a couple who started doing couples therapy before they got married. They've been married for several years but still go once a month to get a third-party perspective on stuff.

I still hate that there's a stigma to therapy. Just because you see someone doesn't mean things are damaged or broken. I see it as we both have the desire to continually improve our relationship.

I'm off to Dallas tomorrow for the day for work. Then I'm going to try and take Friday and Monday off. I actually got a call from one of the head partners in NYC today and he said that he looked at my numbers and I need to start taking days off. This is coming from an old school guy who puts work ahead of everything else. He said, and I quote, "I don't care if you sit at home and watch Ellen, you have to take your vacation. We can't afford to have you get burned out or sick, especially if you want to be promoted next year." I don't have to be told twice so I will stay at home and hang out. I don't have the money to do anything fancy because of the wedding, but I do need a break.