View Single Post
Old 09-13-2016, 06:38 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
CoParentToA

Originally Posted by ConfusedDaily View Post
I will not leave, I am determined to make things work. I genuinely love him and that includes all of him; the good and the bad,
It's your decision to leave or not, but it is absolutely not in your power to "make things work." And I have found, in many facets of my life, that living with the belief that I can change things (via logic, persistence, patience, persuasion, etc) that are beyond my ability to control is hellish, especially when the stakes are as high as they are.

I watched my AXH's family try to "love" him into sobriety for years. He finally pursued treatment when they made clear they would no longer protect him from his bad decisions. I think if you read more here, you will find very few recovering alcoholics who credit a partner's love and devotion with helping them to realize they needed to address an issue.

There is so much more wisdom here, and I think among the best advice you've received is to ask yourself for how long are you willing to love him more than yourself and put his needs before your own.