Old 09-13-2016, 02:55 PM
  # 417 (permalink)  
kk1k5x

Originally Posted by SomeSortOfHuman View Post
Hello September peeps,

Day 14 for me and although I haven't been very productive, at least I'm sober! Just wanted to mention five things that are helping me, in case they're useful to anyone else -

1. Not thinking beyond the day I'm in or - at most - the next day. The question of whether or not I'll ever drink again feels like too much for me to face this early in my sobriety, so I'm just committing to each day as it comes.

2. A book I saw discussed on these forums called This Naked Mind by Annie Grace. Am half way through, taking a couple of chapters each day - and it seems very good and down to earth. It basically breaks down your ingrained beliefs about alcohol - shows you how your unconscious mind is running the show and how to re-set it.
Great post! I can attest to the first point. I never got the 'take it one day at a time' thing before maybe a week or so ago. It was always all or nothing. And that's what always broke the camel's back in the end.

I'm waiting for my copy of This Naked Mind as well. Had to recheck with the people I ordered from, there was some mix-up, but now they've shipped it. Hope it gets here soon.