Old 09-13-2016, 01:56 PM
  # 415 (permalink)  
SomeSortOfHuman

Hello September peeps,

Day 14 for me and although I haven't been very productive, at least I'm sober! Just wanted to mention five things that are helping me, in case they're useful to anyone else -

1. Not thinking beyond the day I'm in or - at most - the next day. The question of whether or not I'll ever drink again feels like too much for me to face this early in my sobriety, so I'm just committing to each day as it comes.

2. A book I saw discussed on these forums called This Naked Mind by Annie Grace. Am half way through, taking a couple of chapters each day - and it seems very good and down to earth. It basically breaks down your ingrained beliefs about alcohol - shows you how your unconscious mind is running the show and how to re-set it.

3. Getting outside. I have a dog to walk, and getting out with her is really helping me.

4. Alcohol Mastery TV on YouTube - an Irish guy hiking through the Spanish hills and talking about his journey to sobriety. Very smart and straight-talking - I really like him and his videos have made me feel quite excited about the life I could build for myself without alcohol. Thanks again BehindtheLens for the suggestion!

5. A whole host of fruit juices mixed with sparkling water. I hate sugary soft drinks, but a bit of fruit juice mixed with water seems to hit the spot.

Still finding it hard and the scale of my problem is only just hitting me - keep coming up against places / events and realising "Yup, I would've had a drink right now".

Hope you're all doing OK.

x