Old 09-13-2016, 06:40 AM
  # 406 (permalink)  
VirginiaWoof

Cross with myself.

Back to day 1. A friend of ours died a couple of weeks back. He was diagnosed with brain cancer almost exactly a year ago. In the spring he opted to stop having treatment as it was only extending his life by months and it was making him too ill to enjoy the time he had left.

A couple of months back they had a tribute concert to him to raise funds for McMillan nurses and also the local theatre - of which he was a director and where we know him from. He picked songs from shows he had been in and directed.

When he stood up to make a speech you would not have thought there was anything wrong with him. He looked healthy and had everyone rolling in the aisles with laughter.

Anyway, as I say he died a couple of weeks back and his funeral was 11:30 today. I went to the funeral, bypassed the cremation (the church was heaving so would have been no room at the crematorium) but went to the wake which was at the theatre (in fact it will probably go on for hours yet).

I was talking to some friends when the wine tray came round and I had one. Actually I had three. At that point I knew for my own sake I had to come away otherwise I would carry on imbibing. It's only 2:40pm but I've showered, changed into PJs and asked my son to pop in on his way home from school to 'represent' us for a bit longer.

I knew I shouldn't but I stuck my spoilt brat head on: (WHY shouldn't I be allowed to have a drink at a funeral! Mentally stamp foot). I'm a 'tiny bit' pleased that I had the sense to come away but would have been happier to have just had an OJ !