Old 08-14-2005, 06:33 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  
mingming

Hi, this is my first post and I was actually surprised to see that #2 and #3 are enablers. I'm definitely not a #1!! I'm frustrated to read many posts that I can relate to and all these people just having to "put up with" these family members. My dh started drinking again(when we met he didn't drink) . My first husband(who was killed in a snowmobile accident) drank and I made sure I would never put up with a drinker again. Well, here I am, AGAIN! My dh used to do drugs and drink and has quite the past, being irresponsible, going nowhere in life. So he thinks, now because he shows up for work every day, has a family and ocassionally attends church, he does not have a problem. Last night I ended up taking the kids home from our camp because dh was starting to slur his words. I DO NOT want my kids to see him drunk. I've asked him to please not drink and drive, and he won't promise me he won't. He has even driven his company truck after he's been drinking. I have told him I won't put up with this forever and every day, I think about leaving. Maybe I'm not looking at alcholism as a disease, but I just don't want to go through this again. His drinking is more important to him than his family and I can't handle that. Why do so many people put up with this and stay in these situations? Any advice would be helpful at this point.