View Single Post
Old 09-09-2016, 04:28 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

My last full day here in OBX--I had lunch at a famously awesome little cafe (crabcake wrap with avocado), then climbed the highest lighthouse in North America--the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse. They moved it in 1999 a couple thousand feet inland, due to shoreline erosion that was threatening it--a real feat of engineering! It was 250-some steps to the top, and man--you really FELT it. The view from the top was spectacular, though.

After the lighthouse (and the museum tour), I stopped, on impulse, at a little bookstore. I love bookstores, and there are so few independent ones these days.

The lady who ran it greeted me pleasantly, and as I was browsing in the room next door, I heard people talking about being "friends of Bill W." Holy crap--I walked over and there was a couple chatting with the owner, and it was obvious they were all in AA. I said, "Where's the coffee pot? I've got a resentment..." and everyone busted out laughing. The owner had 30-some years, as did the guy, and his wife/girlfriend had eight years, same as me.

The owner said when she got sober, she was the only woman in a group of six guys, and whenever she'd call one of them for help, he'd call one of the other guys--to avoid any inappropriate one-on-one. We had a great little chat, and when I left (having purchased a book she recommended for me), she gave me a hug and gave me her card so we can keep in touch.

There really is something totally awesome about traveling by yourself. When you don't have someone with you as your "security blanket" you're much more likely to have interesting conversations with strangers, I've found.

So even though the trip didn't go exactly as planned, I'm looking forward to another visit--it always takes me a few days to kind of get the hang of strange places, and I'd love to have another week here. But it's a good excuse to get down here again.