View Single Post
Old 09-09-2016, 09:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Aellyce

Great post, Venecia, thank you. I hope your mom is better!

I would comment on two points:

2. Be completely honest about your alcoholism/addiction.
I think this is an issue for many of us addicts / recovering addicts, especially when we have neglected healthcare appointments for a long time and don't have doctors that we know and trust. Also, many people are reluctant to admit the addiction because they are afraid of it going into medical records and potential privacy violations. I agree with the honesty completely though, treatment can be ineffective or even dangerous without the doctors' awareness of especially an active addiction problem.

7. Say "thank you" when you have a good experience. You can be sure that every single person who works in clinical care has experienced verbal abuse, and worse, from patients and/or their families.
This one is something quite easy to forget or ignore. I have experienced it myself having done clinical work in the last couple years. People often say even if the received care is decent, they don't own a 'thank you' or gratefulness to the providers since it's a paid service and the money is enough reward. I think there are special elements of this especially in the mental health factor.