View Single Post
Old 09-07-2016, 07:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I suffered dreadfully from those dancing skeletons in early sobriety. Even though I may have had a successful day, as soon as my head hit the pillow, out they came.

A lot of it was vague memories of the sick things I did while drunk, and it made me feel quite lonely, even in an understanding place like AA. We talked about the general stuff, but not specifics, nor should we. As a result I thought I must be the worst person ever to come to AA and if they knew what I was really like they would kick me out. That filled me with fear, or anxiety if you like.

The solution was step 5, essentially confession, the very last thing I wanted to do. I discovered first of all that I was just an ordinary run of the mill alcoholic who did alcoholic things - what a relief, I wasn't the worst after all!

The second benefit was that the airing of the skeletons seemed to put them to sleep. They have not bothered me since. The night after my step 5 I slept like a baby. There were other benefits too, but it certainly solved the sleep problem.