View Single Post
Old 09-07-2016, 03:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Lightning Bug
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Originally Posted by madgirl View Post
There are lots of posts regarding anxiety, and while some things are clearly anxiety to me (nerves/dread before a presentation, for example), I experience other things which I cannot classify and am wondering if some of you can help.

The thing I experience is - many nights as I am trying to fall asleep, my brain serves up painful or scary moments from my life over and over, like a skipping record. Sometimes these moments are drinking horrors, but sometimes they had nothing to do with my behavior - for instance, once I saw a loose dog tear out into the street and get suddenly hit by a car. Terrible moment and obviously impactful - but why does my brain insist on reliving these kinds of moments?

Is this also anxiety? Help! Just want to make it stop!
I believe what you are experiencing are racing thoughts. I have them as part of my ADHD and they bring on anxiety and panic attacks. It is like your mind won't turn off. It brings negativity to the forefront, bad feelings, bad experiences in the past, unresolved issues.

Check with a pdoc. There are pharmceutical ways to manage them or check with a therapist for behavioral ways.