View Single Post
Old 08-30-2016, 05:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Dame

I live in "the worst run state in the US." This is not opinion. It is a fact. I'm fortunate to have any healthcare, being on Medicaid, but the few HC people who will still see us haven't been paid in a year. They are sick of it and sick of us patients. We go to the equivalent of "Third World Clinics," we suffer profiling and labeling because it is easier to do this than to work with the "extra baggage" poverty brings, and we are expendable. This means if we disagree with a Dr. or even call too many times we will be terminated.
If you admit to a drinking problem, even if it is comparatively brief, you will be labeled. Your history will follow you, and most often you will be turned down by future HC people because they will not believe that you are no longer drinking. The HIPPA Act is merely an agreement to let HC people dispense your personal information as they please and our Patient's Bill of Rights is ignored.
So yes, I am expected to be "ashamed". When I try to advocate for myself I am terminated. If I am articulate and ask questions I will also be dismissed. As a woman who chose not to marry or have children I am especially viewed as not even having contributed to that. Folks like to claim that they are in control of their lives and destinies. But we all have to answer to someone.