View Single Post
Old 08-30-2016, 01:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
NYswimDad

She's sober but I'm miserable

I'm new here. I'm hoping others can perhaps relate to my situation and offer insight or advice. I've been married for 16 years. The last 6 have been miserable with my wife's alcoholism. It took years before I had the strength to call it what it was and actually do something about it. Many failures along the way. A lot of lessons learned.

The good news is that she's been sober now for 5 months after spending 2 months in a rehab facility. She's like the woman I married again. Confident. Beautiful. Charming. A good mother.

So why am I so miserable. Our marriage is still non-existent. We are good friends but nothing more. We don't even argue anymore. We just co-exist. I know she wants more and she's giving me plenty of space. I'm thankful for that.

Al Anon tells me to take it one day at a time. Not to project or predict the future. To let things unfold naturally. I'm trying that but NOTHING is changing for me. I don't feel anything for her. I'm not in love with her and I don't see it changing. Even though she has changed, I can't seem to let it go.

I think it's over and I just don't want to face it. I just don't know what to do other than be patient and wait and see. But right now all I feel is lonely and depressed.