Thread: Perfectionism
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2016, 04:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
PuzzledHeart

OMG, what am I coming to, oh dear, oh my, surely the world will spin off its axis and the oceans will come sloshing out of their basins and drown the world b/c I spelled a word wrong, holy cows!!
Honeypig, sometimes I look at my old posts, and I cringe when I realize that I'm missing an article. I react exactly the same way!

My job requires me to be extremely detail oriented. I'm constantly paranoid that I've made some sort of miscalculation. It's a two-edged sword: my attention to detail allows people to trust my work, but it also means that it takes me a very long time to publish anything.

So... I have a letterpress poster of the Brooklyn Bridge that is depicted in type. There is a typo in it. Every person who walks into my home sees it. Not one person, even when asked, has identified the error. There's such an interesting story behind the mistake, which you can read about at https://brooklynbridge.io/.

I look at it to remind myself that mistakes can sometimes bring value to something that was already beautiful to begin with.