View Single Post
Old 08-29-2016, 08:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Nalanda

Teetotal Life: Mode/On

Goal 1: One year teetotal
Week 1

Setting longish term goals is like running a marathon. If I start the marathon thinking to myself "Jesus, I have 26 miles ahead of me" it can mentally seem very heavy and very daunting. I can almost be defeated before I start. To run a marathon smartly you break it down into manageable chunks and you plan exactly at what speed you're going to run these chunks and at what time you wish to complete them.

Probably that's why most people find the "quit drinking forever" daunting, because forever seems so vast.

Me I like structured goals and find I work better when I have goals to aim for. I have more of a sense of urgency about my days. Anyone that knows anything about setting goals knows these few things:

1. Write down your goals (commitment and consistency rule)
2. Be specific, very specific
3. Be realistic
4. Have an end date in mind

So first goal: Teetotal one year. (marathon planning taking into consideration)

Reflections:
1. I'm quitting a poisonous substance, there is nothing to give up
2. Alcohol or other drugs give me nothing, it's DELUSIONAL thinking to think that they give anything
3. Alcohol is a socially acceptable drug (highly taxed) and for this I have thought before "Why me?" etc etc and started drinking to fit in with the so called "normal drinkers". This too is DELUSIONAL thinking: Alcohol wrecks so many lives and the evidence is all around. It's not "just me" or a small percentage, it's a big number.
https://www.theguardian.com/society/...-cent-one-year
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-record-rates/
4. I don't need it, ever
5. It does't make me more sociable, in fact in a weird way it makes me anti social and slightly dumb as it deadens my senses.
6. Alcohol brings a lot of master guests to the after party: anxiety, depression, remorse, paranoia etc I don't need any of that
7. Alcohol leads to poverty
8. And shite health
9. Nothing cures thirst like water

It's better to be natural, like an animal.