View Single Post
Old 08-28-2016, 09:43 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
BeachPlease

Originally Posted by Nata1980 View Post
This is where math comes in handy.

Make a table, rows for job characteristics in order of importance (pay, children's safety, commute, interest level, job security, what have you). Assign multipliers to each category (children's safety could be 1.5, pay 1.3, commute 1.2, job security 0.8) - depending on importance/weight
Jobs 1, 2, 3 will be in columns. Rate each category for all three jobs as 1,2, or 3, times importance multiplier. I.e best paying job #2 will earn 3 * 1.3. Job #3 will earn 1*1.5 in child safety, Job #2 will be 3*1.5

Add all of your ratings for each job. Whatever ends up higher - wins.

or you could simplify it with just writing out pros and cons and ranking them.

I am with Anvil - 8 is young and I am an overprotective hovering freak of a parent - so that would eliminate #3 for me. I would assign multiplier of 5 to that category.

I vote for #2 - special education teaching jobs change lives
I agree with this, especially when there are several parts to the already numerous options. It helps me lay it all out and look at it at once instead of trying to weigh everything in my head.

I also have difficulty making decisions these days, because I no longer trust my abilities due to past mistakes. It's something I'm currently working on, because I didn't use to be this way. Good luck to you.