Old 08-27-2016, 04:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Nalanda

Originally Posted by Dame View Post
Why not say I'm quitting for life. I'm done. I couldn't go through another relapse or slip or whatever it's called. It was consuming again with the same consequences, maybe worse as I had no tolerance.

If I hade diabetes I would have to take insulin or whatever for the rest of my life. I would just have to do it and accept the new life.

why not the same with alcohol. It's causing problems. It always has so logically it always will. Why not stop taking it for life.
I'm not sure if a need for insulin is equivalent to ending a drinking
problem, but you do mention "slips." I have nearly 90 days. After I detoxed I was so very ill I said "never again" and absolutely meant it. I was very sick for months. And yet I slipped 4 times which taught me that it can possibly happen again. It's a terrifying thought, but it's confounding how we can rationalize doing something harmful even while still feeling the effects of past harms. I suppose I don't feel the level of confidence and resolve that you posses.

Good luck[/QUOTE]

Thanks.

I know, maybe it's not the same as alcohol is so socially acceptable.

It's just that I've tried the other ways before....one day at a time or just for now and it hasn't exactly worked full time.

And also there are two other factors:

1. I had four or so months and .......the were incredible.....no exaggeration....they were really, really good. I couldn't believe how things went so good so quickly and how I was feeling so good (maybe I took it for granted?)

2. This "slip/relapse has hurt me. I did some really stupid, dumb things and I feel really bad about them. In fact, I looked at myself in the mirror and said "There's something fvcking wrong with you". Which is not too healthy to say to yourself.

I'd just really like to put this to bed.