View Single Post
Old 08-27-2016, 02:21 PM
  # 122 (permalink)  
Yours Truly

He had mentioned last Wednesday that since he moved to this area and switched to going to different meetings that it wasn't the same. He said he found himself texting a lot of members from the place where he used to go and that he felt kind of lost.

I am new to this area too, having moved here this past March. D and I lived in the valley for a couple of years, then in the foothills, and now in the Mojave Desert (all with varying climates - and cultures as well). The places aren't even that far apart, not even a hundred miles I don't think.

I was thinking of offering to attend meetings with him from time-to-time or for as long as I can filter what I'm hearing. I will be honest with him about that. I went to them before, way before I found message boards and alternative forms of achieving abstinence. I was hardly able to attend an open meeting without bawling my eyes out. The stories of the speakers were always moving. Something just never clicked. But maybe having another familiar face around would make him feel a little more at home, and maybe a little coffee afterward - decaf for me - and going over some anger stuff would be good for both of us. It would get me out of the house, too.

So that's something for me to chew on, but I won't offer unless I'm certain I can handle it. I remember doing closed meetings and not announcing myself as being an alcoholic and watching all heads at the table swivel in my direction. Then I would launch into this spiel about how I didn't like to label myself, lol. They were kinda cool about it tho.

"My name is (.......) and in all humility I was previously addicted to alcohol."

Lol!