Thread: Why I drink...
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2016, 06:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Leaflet

I am also alone a lot! We live in the suburbs, and it's not rural. However, I've found it difficult to make friends out here. My husband is out of town a bunch, and my kiddo goes to her Dad's frequently, so no one really notices when I binge drink unless my family checks up on me.

I also have really bad anxiety, but I've found alcohol makes it worse. It gets better when I am actually drinking, but when I sober up the anxiety is ten times worse. Being alone a lot with anxiety is really tough when trying to get sober. My anxiety is lessened when I am around people I am comfortable with, but, again, there aren't many of those out here.

I'm sorry you start shaking when you detox. That happened to my cousin, and he went through a medical detox that really helped him. He's been sober for almost 10 years now! He was terrified to go to the detox, but he went through with it. It's such a tough choice to make, but I know he would never go back to where he was.

It might be a good idea for you to see the doctor. It's hard enough to get sober without having anxiety on top of it. Sobriety IS better than drinking, and it's okay to ask for help getting sober! You just have to get over that initial hump, and you'll do great!