Thread: A story
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2016, 05:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
awuh1
Sober Alcoholic

Perhaps the greater good of telling this story (in this setting) will be in its retelling. If you do retell it, two suggestions. First, use the exact phrase "a truck came along" to end the story, and second, DO NOT provide an answer. If the person does not get it, fine. I have had people come back to me weeks later excited that they had the answer. By far the greatest benefit comes through a person finding the answer on their own. This is why I asked people not to give up a solution for 24 hours. Thanks to those who waited.

I believe I was told this story to illustrate a point. At the time I heard it I was participating in a workshop focusing on problem resolution. I was (no doubt) doing my typical nightly drinking, which illustrated to others that I had a problem with alcohol. I don't remember the exact context in which I was told the story but I think the person who shared it with me may have seen where I was headed. I think he could see that one day I would be in that pit.

Many years after hearing the story that's exactly where I was. I could not quit drinking, no matter how hard I tried. Life seemed impossible and not drinking even more so. Then things got worse.

I became resigned to my fate. Then I heard a truck coming, and I knew it was about to run me over.

I had to do something extraordinary. Somehow I did. I managed to do things I thought I never could or would do. Somehow, what had looked totally and completely impossible, turned out to be possible.

So if you're new, and things look really bleak, do what you need to do. Take advantage of all the resources you can muster and do it.

Do it because you can.