View Single Post
Old 08-24-2016, 06:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Optimist4ever57

Getting ready to start my day, working from home.

My meeting went well last night. Thanks JL for reminding me that I had to give my "stuff" to my Higher Power. I felt better immediately!

The director of the recovery group gives a message each meeting. He's a little rough around the edges and has said some things in the past that made me cringe but last night took the cake. I walked out on him.

For whatever reason, he made 3 racist remarks in a row hitting 3 different cultures. The first comment, I said out loud "Stop now" but since I sit in the back and run the sound and visuals, he didn't hear me, but the 3 people with me did hear me. He continued his "joking" with 2 more comments and I was out of there. If he had been in any job setting in the US, he would have been fired for what he said.

When this group started out, it was very small, so his comments didn't affect too many people. Most of the original members were bikers, street people, ect. and could handle that type of talk. Now we have 75-100 people showing up each week. Moms, dad, grandmothers, teenagers are all there and he's failed to recognize that his street talk is not really appropriate now.

So, I talked to him afterwards. He's sort of prideful and really tried to justify his comments. He realized he was off base when I told him that if this was the first meeting I ever attended, I would not be returning. Hopefully he'll give this some thought and figure out a safer way to approach us.

Well, back to work! Will check in later class :-)