Thread: Bad dream
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2016, 05:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

I remember driving one night, shortly after my separation, and thinking, WHO would I call if I got a flat tire and needed a ride or something? I felt a sense of panic.

Well, I've discovered that friends and neighbors are more than willing to help. I don't have a lot of super-close friends, but when I had a medical procedure a couple of months ago, requiring that I be driven home, I got scolded by my co-worker (who lives more than half an hour away from me) for using medical transport. She offered to drive me, but I'd already made the arrangements, so I thanked her and promised to call when I got home so she'd know I was OK.

I now have a number of people I could call in an emergency.

I also remember, one of the things that motivated me to get sober was that I had become so isolated I was beginning to feel if I dropped dead, no one would come to the funeral. It's funny, because I've always held the firm belief that the dead couldn't care less about how the living send them off, but it was symbolic of the fact that I had become so isolated.

I do have people I can share inside jokes with. I don't feel a gaping hole in my life because I'm not in a relationship. It fills in.