View Single Post
Old 08-23-2016, 07:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Irnldy001

My sponsor has gently reminded me a number of times that I can't just dump my week and emotions on her. When we talk it is always focussed on sobriety and how I may be getting in my own way with my higher power. When she senses I'm not focused or really there, she listens politely for a few minutes and then gently reminds me again of what she is there for. I have some different issues, so sometimes those are more front of the brain.
I think in the past I have confused her for friend/therapist - which she is not and I know it. She is the same sponsor I had from before when I relapsed twice. She didn't agree to continue sponsoring me until I showed her I was serious. She did take my phone calls and talk to me at meetings, but the actual step work waited two months this last time.
She and I just went through a step 5 again on Sunday which was exhausting. The point being, the trust was earned back, but she needed to see focus and action.
I think you are putting a lot of your emotions and fears on to her, where they don't belong. Do what you are doing. Go to meetings. Stay sober. Update her on her voicemail or by text. It lets her know you are staying strong and serious. That is, if you think this is a healthy sponsorship for you to continue.
Good luck