View Single Post
Old 08-22-2016, 10:29 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Delilah1

Hi Achelus,

First congratulations on 14 months and doing well in law school. Both take dedication and hard work. I hope you are taking some time to recognize that.

I moved from NY to Cali in 1999 because I met someone who was visiting NY and we just clicked. He was only there for three days, and then we did the long distance thing for a year. We spoke on the phone nightly (before unlimited minutes, I didn't even have a cell phone), sent hand written letters, and both took several cross country trips. I ended up moving to California and started teaching. (I had been a teacher for seven years in NY). He works in retail and our schedules often were opposite, leaving me alone (other than his family) in a new city. I ended up signing up to run a marathon with Team in Training. I had always played sports in high school, and belonged to a gym and was active while living in NYC, however, I had never run just to run. My friend and I went to the first meeting and after watching the video of kids suffering with leukemia we were hooked. We had to fundraise $1500 and also had training runs several times a week, the long runs being on Saturdays. My teacher friend dropped out, but I stuck with it and met several incredible friends, we called ourselves the turtles due to our incredible speed. I finished my first marathon in 5:30 hours, and although I was slower than I would have liked it was an incredible accomplishment and I met lots of great people, several who I am still very close friends with today.

Okay, now that I have bored you with my story, have you thought about looking into some kind of running, triathlon, walking, or biking club? Great way to get exercise and meet new people.

❤️ Delilah