View Single Post
Old 08-22-2016, 08:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Delizadee

Originally Posted by digdug View Post
Law school can be a lonely experience. Between class and studying, there's not much time to take care of oneself. Coupled with the competition aspect and looming career decisions, I totally understand where you're coming from. I wasn't sober in law school, but I was still lonely. I even had a girlfriend at the time but I didn't have much time to see her.

It is what it is. But loneliness and fear are just feelings. They do not represent the tremendous progress you've made in sobriety. Instead of focusing on what you don't have now, why not try celebrating how far you've come. How you are not the same person you were when you were drinking. You are not the same person you were when you were tied up in a codependent relationship in early sobriety. You are a better you.

I got sober at 31. I met the love of my life at around a year of sobriety. By the time we get married early next year, I'll be 35. Things come when they are supposed to come. You are worthy of a healthy relationship and by staying sober, you'll get there.

What helped me with the loneliness when I was single in sobriety was to make those close, personal, PLATONIC relationships with my fellow AAs. It's hard to feel lonely when I have a phone full of numbers I can call up at any time and just talk to friends. Or meeting up for coffee or dinner after a meeting. Not necessarily to talk about recovery but just to hang out.

You've got a lot on your plate, my friend. One bite at a time.
Great post digdug... and congratulations on all your hard work.

for both of you!