Old 08-19-2016, 08:59 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
FeelingGreat
Sober since 10th April 2012

Skid, you do have some points in your favour. One big one is that he loves you, and you love him, so there is an incentive for both of you to work through this.

Not everyone is born an alcoholic, but you can fall into the trap of habitual drinking to the point where you become dependent - it doesn't matter what you call it.

From the details you've given I have no doubt he is dependent; that thing about pouring the wine down the sink is pure sh**e, for instance. He's almost certainly finished it off, and now he feels the need to lie. The shifts and the move away from home will be factors in his life, no doubt about it, but the alcohol will make it worse.

When I was drinking I wouldn't go out in the evening because I couldn't drink as much as I did when I was home. And you do become dependent on drinking to sleep, but that's often temporary and many recovering As use exercise instead.

It's 100% true that he had to want to stop himself, however you might be able to persuade him to seek help before it gets worse, and it will. Putting off doing anything until after the baby is born will possibly make things worse as it's a stressful time for everyone.

You've discussed his drinking before. Consider seeing a D&A counsellor together, when he's sober, for a more structured discussion. It's not a cure, but things have gone beyond the point where you can help him on your own. If he does find the incentive to stop drinking there are many treatment options out there.

I personally developed a drinking habit (i.e. I'm a recovered A) and I know As aren't monsters, but I do think your H has got to the point where he needs proper evaluation and help, and you might be able to get him to consider it.