View Single Post
Old 08-10-2005, 06:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Gumby643

I'm really grasping at straws here...

Hi Everyone!

I would like some input on a situation I'm going through. I'm a general manager in a small office. My office manager told me soon after she came aboard that she had had a substance abuse problem in the past with crack, but that she had successfully completed a program, and was now clean. She did an absolutely spectacular job for six months, with great attendance and a positive attitude.

In the time she's been with us, she and I have grown extremely close (platonic). She confided to me early on that she also suffered from depression, and once her insurance kicked in, she would get back on her meds to help combat the depression. Two weeks ago, she saw the doctor and got on Effexor. Soon thereafter, she got some extremely disturbing personal news, and it sent her into a tailspin.

Erratic would be the understatement of the decade when discussing her attitude and behavior since that time. She took the company car for an entire weekend without asking. She has hit everyone in the place up for small loans, $20 from this one, $20 from that one. She has lost weight at an alarming clip. She's always been honest to a fault, and I have caught her lying through her teeth on numerous occasions in the last two weeks.

There's nothing on God's earth I would love more than to be proven wrong in my suspicion that she's using again. I sat her down and asked her point-blank if she was doing so, and she (of course) denied it. I know denial is a major part of substance abuse, but it hurts to be lied to by someone who you consider among your closest friends. Am I incorrect in my assessment, and if not what can I do to get her help if she refuses to seek it on her own?

I'm sorry if I rambled, but I think the world of the girl and would do pretty much anything to help her. I just don't know where to start. Any advice anyone could give is MORE than greatly appreciated!

Rick N.