View Single Post
Old 08-16-2016, 09:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Stale

First day, and also my history

Hello good people, Today is my first sober day after another 5 day bender.

About my situation: I am 34 and have been drinking pretty much every day for the last 10-12 years. started with beer and a few years ago I reached the phase of chugging the cheapest vodka I could find straight out of the bottle. On an average I drink about 5-6 drinks a day (I have actually kept a record since this January), but this number is in control owing to the fact that I did have a few days of abstinence every couple of months, and also a few days where I drink just a couple of beers.

I work two and a half days a week, Monday, Wednesday and Friday till 1PM. My usual pattern is I get a pint of vodka on my way home from work and the first thing I do on getting home is have a sip from the bottle, have a cigarette, and drink and smoke till I pass out, usually about 5-6 drinks, though sometimes I do finish the whole 8 drinks in the pint. If I am working the next day then somehow I get to work, if not then I finish the rest of the pint as soon as I get up, have something to eat and sleep again, get up late afternoon, early evening and hit the vodka again.

my last sober patch was July 14-18, that was because I had gone to some relative's place and did not want to show them how I drink.

Anyways, yesterday morning I did not have much vodka left over from last night, just about a drink and a half, I gulped that, ate and slept. When I woke up my withdrawal had begun, typical sweats and little shaking and racing heart. I got half a pint instead of my usual full pint, and had it very slowly, just fast enough to abet the withdrawal. I did finish it and most of my symptoms were gone, but since it was half my usual quota of 8 drinks, I could not sleep till about 3 AM, finally managed to get some sleep but woke up at 5:30AM and waited for my 6 AM alarm to go off. I am at work right now and I am not having any severe symptoms, just the nausea that comes and goes, and a little racy heart.

I have a very important interview tomorrow, I just want to commit myself that this time my sobriety is for real. I have tried to quit multiple times before, but the addictive voice always got the better of me.

Just wanted to put this out there. Any help will be appreciated.

THanks for listening.