Old 08-15-2016, 03:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Whodathunk

27 is young. Consider doing this when you are 49 or 50?

The time WILL come when you will look back and wish you did not worry so much about what others would think if you are in sobriety and in AA. I have been sober a year, before that 2.5 years before a 3 month relapse. I put of for years going to AA. I am now 54.

I worried what people would think about me being in AA until I went and saw that professions represented in my group included (at lease one) Doctor, Lawyer, Financial Planner, business owners and people working for all different size companies. No one cared about who I was.

When I got sober I told no one else I was 'in sobriety or an alcoholic' till I went on my annual guys golf trip, and most guys were so drunk or high they did not notice I was not drinking. The few that did, I simply told I stopped, and that I could not drink anymore. One guy was interested and I told him I could no longer drink plain and simple, and he understood. It was just not a big deal till the next year, when I simply did not fit in anymore and guys were either self conscious for their own reason that I was not drinking (and they probably had a problem with theirs) or resented that I was messing with the main reason for the 4 days each year, which was to get loaded for 4 days. The next year I told my next door neighbor who had started this outing 25 years ago why I could not go. He actually did not know I was an alcoholic (he just never opened his eyes or listened - I mean, when you get with your neighbor every Friday and Saturday night and drink, then you stop, and when asked why you say "I stopped and can't drink anymore", then DUH!!!!!). But anyway, that is the only person who I told "I am an alcoholic and can't be around those guys anymore, because last year when I drank on the trip thinking I COULD after not drinking for 2.5 years, it was hell to stop again".

So, that really was my LAST group of friends, and ya know what? I heard from NOT ONE OF THE GUYS when I did not go back.

Like one of the responders or more commented to you, you really do learn who are and are not your friends. Very few people are REAL friends.

So, get selfish, decide if you want to continue drinking and drugging or decide you want to stop and go to AA or another group, or whatever, and make a change while you are still young and can.

Yes, your life IS passing you by, and this will continue till you stop. As long as you give it lip service you will not be able to stop. Most people in AA or any other group will tell you that in order to get sober, it most always involved stopping being "friends" with those who do what you are trying to stop doing.