View Single Post
Old 08-15-2016, 12:56 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Berrybean

I remember feeling that Christmas was going to be the worst time ever without alcohol. How could I have Christmas of all things without a drink??? But, I took some advice, and got myself organised and involved with the non-drinking Christmassy stuff happening in my area. All the cheesy stuff I'd turned my nose up at for a few decades. I went to the Christmas lights switch on, and found myself welling up as the kids from the local dance school performed for the town on a ramshackle stage. I volunteered to help with some of the special services at my church (only greeting, and making tea or whatever, but it meant I was part of it). One job I was given was lighting all the little tea lights in jam jars that were placed either side of the church path to guide people in for the evening nativity. The children's gasps of delight as they saw it and followed it gave me a much more Christmassy tingle than my whisky had ever managed. Anyway. What I'm trying to say, is that holidays, like Christmas, can be so much better sober. We see things. We are emotionally available for others. We are interested in other people and other things instead of becoming self-absorbed. BUT, there might be a little initial work involved, in thinking of alternative activities. Why not find some old photos to take with you to share and chat about. Look into some daft excursions or activities to do. Maybe even think - if we were still children, what would we want to do, and do some of those things. Most of us a have our inner child still sitting around inside somewhere, and once we bring them out they can be great fun to hang out with.

You CAN do this holiday sober, and enjoy it. And you should. Because, 1, not everyone makes it back to sobriety once they go back out. And 2, if you do make it back, what will be the next difficult sober first that you decide not to face up to? It really isn't a good pattern to get into, as those first few months sober are horrible ! !!