View Single Post
Old 08-10-2005, 04:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
equus

My personal favourite re - alcohol issues is that it is a baffling and cunning disease. On the baffling part - I agree but then most diseases either were or still are baffling, in fact those not currently eradicated blatantly have baffled well enough to still effect our lives. It's not so much that I disagree with it, more that I think it's redundant.

On the cunning side - well if you believe 'it' has conscious thought then you could argue it to be cunning, but if you truly believe 'it' is a disease it, then 'it' cannot think and therefore is incapable of the present tense verb 'cunning'. It seems to me more of a repetition of the first comment that people are baffled - yep, but unless we can deny the weight of stuff we don't know about the human brain, illness, health, etc we should mostly expect some degree of baffling. BUT it isn't a blanket statement, after all isn't the speaker of that very statement claiming to have understood something of 'the disease'? i.e. to no longer be quite as baffled?