View Single Post
Old 08-13-2016, 01:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne
Redmayne

One of the most telling moments...

In January of this year (2016), here in the UK, Channel 5 tv broadcast one of the most groundbreaking, not least for the courage and honesty of the participants. Eight men and women from all walks of life, titled,'My name is ... I'm an alcoholic,' based on the fact that it's reckoned there are 8 million alcohol dependant people (jury's still out on that, not least because reports suggest there's an increase in middle aged and older people,like me, drinking alcoholically behind closed doors) in the UK.

The participants, one of whom, regrettably relapsed just before the programme was broadcast descent into alcoholism and drinking....including their recovery in a manner, which we all know resonates in a way that no other can when one drunk talks to another...

One of the most telling moments, there were many, in it was when, David (52), a former editor of one of the UK's national daily tabloid newspapers. Not that it really matters, as we all know alcoholism is no respecter of class, race, gender, age or (dis)ability . Was asked, on leaving a rehabilitation facility, along with others, to sign out...

At which point, he stated that he knew that since that time over half those who signed the register with him that day, were dead!

Which underscores, and I'm not that old that I don't know I'm repeating myself and no doubt will do again...that alcoholism is the only illness/disease that'll kill you, whilst at the same time telling you, you haven't got it!

As it says in the book 'Alcoholics Anonymous' , 'Remember we deal with alcohol cunning, baffling, powerful.'